One of the most influential pop icons of the twentieth century, and the undisputed father of the reggae music genre, Bob Marley, naturally had some incredible things to say about life.
Robert Nesta Marley made his professional musical debut before he was 20 when he formed the band Bob Marley & The Wailers. The lyrics he put out moved many and told some simple yet compelling truths that have withstood the test of time.
No wonder he was such a deep inspiration throughout the century, and it's the reason his star continued to shine and still shines today even though it has been decades since he took his last breath.
After gunmen unsuccessfully tried to massacre his family, he still went ahead and performed in a concert two days later. Obviously, people wanted to know why he didn't take the day off. After all, it's not like anyone would have blamed him.
But he had this to say: "The people who are trying to make this world worse aren't taking a day off. How can I?"
Even after he was diagnosed with skin cancer, he went on doing tours and promoting love and peace, and he had his last concert on September 23rd, 1980. He passed away while heading from Germany to Jamaica at Cedars Lebanon Hospital in Miami, Florida.
Obviously, a man with such an iron determination to change the world for the better through his music and unique influence in the world had some important nuggets of wisdom to share with us. So, here we go.
1. Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living? – Bob Marley
2. None but ourselves can free our minds. – Bob Marley
3. The greatness of a man is not how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and ability to positively affect those around him. – Bob Marley
4. Man is a universe within himself. – Bob Marley
5. You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice. – Bob Marley
6. Some people feel the rain, others just get wet. – Bob Marley
7. The day you stop racing, is the day you win the race. – Bob Marley
8. Every man gotta right to decide his own destiny. – Bob Marley
9. You are not supposed to feel down over whatever happens to you. I mean, you're supposed to use whatever happens to you as some type of upper, not a downer. – Bob Marley
10. Truth is everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for. – Bob Marley
Imagine where your life would be if you lived by these philosophical words from this honored musical legend? Just imagine.