Many people would agree that inspirational quotes are the one true thing that will succeed in comforting you when everything feels blue.
Are you having a bad day? - Try reading a couple of motivational paragraphs from a book you love.
Are you feeling a bit down from everything that happened to you these past weeks? - Find some podcasts and try to notice some inspirational quotes that stick to your heart most.
Do you still feel like you need some wind at your back to keep you running through your day?
Well, honey, the answer is quite simple: You need some pep talk.
And could there be a better thing than inspirational quotes that would make you feel alive again?
While most of us would instantly start rummaging through books, favorite songs, movies, and many more to find some inspirational quotes, of course, others would feel hungry to learn something more about them.
One thing is for sure - they work their magic indeed.
But then again, why do these things work instantly? Let's find out and solve the mystery once and for all.
Why Do Inspirational And Motivational Quotes Hit Us Right In The Feels?
It is not a secret that many people think this whole philosophy with inspirational quotes is a total myth.
On the other side, there is something fantastic when you find some random inspirational quotes, and they feel like they were written for you.
Let me share a little secret with you: Inspirational quotes work because they make you believe in yourself again.
They remove the doubtful thoughts you have humming in your head, and they defocus you from the things that stop you from getting in charge and fixing the little something that burdens you.
It's true when they say that if you only shine a light on your flaws, all your perfects will dim. And that is exactly what inspirational quotes are - a gentle tap on your shoulder to encourage you to trust yourself.
Don't underestimate their power.
Inspirational Quotes About Staying Strong When Things Are Tough
It's hard to stay strong when everything around you falls apart.
The loss of your loved ones, everyday stress, work problems. They all make us reach the deepest spots at some point. And it becomes so hard to keep going towards your goals when all you want to do is cry your heart out.
Try reading some of these inspirational quotes that will encourage you to stay strong.
Moreover, don't forget that today is a new day, and you will have a unique chance to try again.
1. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: Only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: Only love can do that.
― Martin Luther King Jr., A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches
2. There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
― Albert Einstein
3. Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
4. Instead of worrying about what you cannot control, shift your energy to what you can create.
― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart
5. When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
6. What I need is the dandelion in the Spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again.
― Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay
7. But I know, somehow, that only when it is dark enough can you see the stars.
― Martin Luther King, Jr.
8. Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm but to add color to my sunset sky.
― Rabindranath Tagore, Stray Birds
9. The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger--but recognize the opportunity.
― John F. Kennedy
10. Why didn't I learn to treat everything like it was the last time. My greatest regret was how much I believed in the future.
― Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
Motivational Quotes That Will Make You Appreciate The Hard Times
Each of us needs to hear something good from time to time. The legend says that if you read some inspirational quotes or stories from other people's lives, you won't feel like you're alone in all of this. It's good. We've all been there.
11. The world is indeed full of peril, and in it, there are many dark places; but still, there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
12. Keep Going. Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going. Tough situations build strong people in the end.
― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart
13. It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
14. Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
― Leonardo da Vinci
15. Dance when you're broken open. Dance if you've torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you're perfectly free.
16. You is kind. You is smart. You is important.
― Kathryn Stockett, The Help
17. Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
18. Though nobody can go back and make a new beginning... Anyone can start over and make a new ending.
― Chico Xavier
19. Live in the present, remember the past, and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now.
― Christopher Paolini, Eldest
20. We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.
― Stephen Hawking
Short And Honest Quotes To Make Your Day Bearable
Sometimes, all you need is just one word that will do good for your well-being. And these inspirational quotes are the perfect thing for all these days when you feel like too many words make a crowd in your head.
21. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
― Mahatma Gandhi
22. I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
― Thomas A. Edison
23. It is never too late to be what you might have been.
― George Eliot
24. There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.
― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
25. Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
― George Bernard Shaw
26. Success is not final. Failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.
― Winston S. Churchill
27. Peace begins with a smile...
― Mother Teresa
28. It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world.
― John Green, Paper Towns
29. Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
― Theodore Roosevelt
30. Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
― George Orwell, 1984
31. You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
32. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
― Haruki Murakami, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
33. May you live every day of your life.
― Jonathan Swift
34. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
35. And, when you want something, all the Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Quotes About Strenght And Hope To Help You Get Through Periods Of Your Life
Some inspirational quotes can really light the fire of hope inside you. Use them well.
36. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will live as one.
― John Lennon
37. I like the night. Without the dark, we'd never see the stars.
― Stephenie Meyer, Twilight
38. Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.
39. Maybe everyone can live beyond what they're capable of.
― Markus Zusak, I Am the Messenger
40. Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
― Will Rogers
41. They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: Someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.
― Tom Bodett
42. There was another life that I might have had, but I am having this one.
― Kazuo Ishiguro
43. Nothing in the world is ever completely wrong. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
― Paulo Coelho, Brida
44. You cannot swim for new horizons until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.
― William Faulkner
45. Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect.
― Margaret Mitchell
46. The very least you can do in your life is figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof.
― Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams
47. It's amazing how a little tomorrow can make up for a whole lot of yesterday.
― John Guare, Landscape of the Body
48. Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.
― Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone
49. There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.
― Leonard Cohen
50. You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep Spring from coming.
― Pablo Neruda
Spiritual Inspirational Quotes For Difficult Times
Life is not always made of rainbows and fluffy unicorns. Sometimes it gets so hard. You even wonder how did you end up like this. The most important thing in moments like this is to keep your spiritual side alive. Maybe these inspirational quotes will help a bit.
51. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.
― Bill Keane
52. The past has no power over the present moment.
― Eckhart Tolle
53. Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions.
― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat Pray Love
54. You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you,
none can make you spiritual.
There is no other teacher but your own soul.
― Swami Vivekananda
55. Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future too.
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
56. The deepest secret is that life is not a process of discovery but a process of creation. You are not discovering yourself but creating yourself anew. Seek, therefore, not to find out Who You Are, but seek to determine Who You Want to Be.
― Neale Donald Walsch
57. To live by grace means to acknowledge my whole life story, the light side and the dark. In admitting my shadow side I learn who I am and what God's grace means.
― Brennan Manning
58. It was when I stopped searching for home within others and lifted the foundations of home within myself I found there were no roots more intimate than those between a mind and body that have decided to be whole.
― Rupi Kaur
59. This first glance of a soul which does not yet know itself is like dawn in the heavens; it is the awakening of something radiant and unknown.
― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
60. Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
― Siddhārtha Gautama
Emotional Sayings That Will Give You Courage
Your life surely isn't led by emotions 100% of the time. Yet sometimes, all you need is a pinch of emotional spice that will make a certain inspirational quote hit the spot in your senses and make you feel braver than yesterday.
61. It's not the face, but the expressions on it. It's not the voice, but what you say. It's not how you look in that body, but the thing you do with it. You are beautiful.
― Stephenie Meyer, The Host
62. Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
― Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief
63. You can't live your life for other people. You've got to do what's right for you, even if it hurts some people you love.
― Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
64. The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched. They are felt with the heart.
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
65. When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time.
― Laurie Halse Anderson, Speak
66. Try a little harder to be a little better.
― Gordon B. Hinckley
67. Among my stillness was a pounding heart.
― Shannon A. Thompson, Seconds Before Sunrise
68. It is good to love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is well done.
― Vincent Van Gogh
69. There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
70. Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that's what makes you strong.
― Sarah Dessen
Heartwarming Quotes About Faith And Courage During Hard Times
Heartwarmers are a must. Take a look at these cute inspirational quotes, and see if you can spot some from your favorite books.
71. You can talk with someone for years, every day, and still, it won't mean as much as what you can have when you sit in front of someone, not saying a word, yet you feel that person with your heart, you feel like you have known the person for forever.... connections are made with the heart, not the tongue.
― C. JoyBell C.
72. Sometimes, the best thing in life is finding that one person who knows all your mistakes and weaknesses and still thinks you're completely amazing.
― Jill Shalvis, Rainy Day Friends
73. Babies have the power to make grumpy people happy because they love you no matter what. Dogs are that way, too.
― Mariel Hemingway, Invisible Girl
74. All the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust.
― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
75. You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
― Mahatma Gandhi
76. The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply because they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.
― J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
77. There's so much to be grateful for. Words are poor things.
― Marilynne Robinson, Home
78. No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens.
― Veronica Roth, Insurgent
79. Always do what you're afraid to do. I will prove myself strong when they think I am sick. I will prove myself brave when they think I am weak.
― E. Lockhart, We Were Liars
80. The only time a man can be brave is when he is afraid.
― George R.R. Martin
Inspirational Lines About What Being A Strong Woman Means These Days
Girls supporting girls is one of the best things in the world. Instead of sabotaging, let's try to comfort a girl's heart and offer a hand through some of these inspirational quotes.
81. I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.
― Jane Austen, Persuasion
82. What was love, really? Flowers, chocolate, and poetry? Or was it something else? Was it being able to finish someone's jokes? Was it having absolute faith that someone was there at your back? Was it knowing someone so well that they instantly understood why you did the things you did—and shared those same beliefs?
― Richelle Mead, Last Sacrifice
83. I am no bird, and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.
― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
84. Lock up your libraries if you like, but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.
― Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own
85. You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.
― Brigham Young
86. What would men be without women? Scarce, sir...mighty scarce.
― Mark Twain
87. In politics, If you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman.
― Margaret Thatcher
88. Every man I meet wants to protect me. I can't figure out what from.
― Mae West
89. There is more to sex appeal than just measurements. I don't need a bedroom to prove my womanliness. I can convey just as much sex appeal, picking apples off a tree or standing in the rain.
― Audrey Hepburn
90. As a woman, I have no country. As a woman, I want no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.
― Virginia Woolf
More Quotes For Strength And Healing
Ready for some more? Enjoy these inspirational quotes that could help you during the process of your healing.
91. Do not be afraid; our fate
Cannot be taken from us; it is a gift.
― Dante Alighieri, Inferno
92. I don't think that we're meant to understand it all the time. I think that sometimes we just have to have faith.
― Nicholas Sparks, A Walk to Remember
93. What happens when people open their hearts? - They get better.
― Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood
94. It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.
― Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy
95. Change, like healing, takes time.
― Veronica Roth, Allegiant
96. The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.
― Marianne Williamson
97. And so I wait. I wait for time to heal the pain and raise me to my feet once again - so that I can start a new path, my own path, the one that will make me whole again.
― Jack Canfield, Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul II
98. The question is not how to get cured but how to live.
― Joseph Conrad
99. I choose to write because it's perfect for me. It's an escape, a place I can go to hide. It's a friend when I feel outcasted from everyone else. It's a journal when the only story I can tell is my own. It's a book when I need to be somewhere else. It's control when I feel so out of control. It's healing when everything seems pretty messed up.
And it's fun when life is just flat-out boring.
― Alysha Speer
100. You have the power to heal your life, and you need to know that. We think so often that we are helpless, but we're not. We always have the power of our minds…Claim and consciously use your power.
― Louise L. Hay
Some Extra Tips On How To Make That Motivation Feeling Last Longer
Inspirational quotes act like mantras. And they work at the exact moment when you focus and start humming them.
You remember your favorite quote from a book or some movie, and the smile slowly starts shining on your face. You feel comforted, safe, secure, and ready to conquer the world.
However, inspirational quotes are not some magic spells that we can count on each time when things get tough. Although they feed your self-esteem, they won't save you from your misery in the long run.
Some other things are hidden beneath the inspirational quotes themselves. And the most important thing, of course, is our will to fetch and practice these little yet important details in real life.
Take regular breaks. Imagine breaks like a time-out for your brain. You need to loosen up a little when things start feeling too heavy, so do it often. And if you try to take this on another level - they really are a time-out, but let's keep this short and sweet.
Embrace the small successes. You've heard this one many times before: Even baby steps count. And whether you like it or not, there is a reason why people say it that much. (Hint: Because it's the ultimate truth!)
Just breathe. Stress will eat you alive. It's the silent killer that attacks your whole being and it intends to drag you into a very dark and dangerous place. On the other side, being overwhelmed is not always a good thing. Whatever happens, just breathe. Take all the deep breaths you need to calm yourself while repeating something that comforts your soul like a chicken soup on a cold winter day.
Each burnout alert means hitting the pause button. Everyone has their limits. Yes, even you, The Invincible One. And it's good to hit pause when you feel like you can't take it anymore. Take a couple of hours to yourself and relax. If you feel it, then you need it.
Be kind to yourself. We often are too harsh with ourselves. And while a little bit of criticism is always more than welcome, we need to pay attention not to become too strict. Always, no matter what, don't forget to be kind to yourself.
See? Inspirational quotes are a cool thing. Besides keeping you out of the deep dark abyss of your mind, they teach you to practice the good old self-care rules that you might have forgotten.