Teenagers Save Squirrel Covered In Foam Insulation

In St. Andrews, a situation occurred where two teenagers emerged as the heroes of a squirrel stuck under a vehicle. The small animal was coated in a thick layer of stiff foam insulation, making it difficult to identify as a squirrel.

According to Jaydon Pettipas, one of the rescuers, a massive blob of insulation foam was moving quickly. While strolling through downtown St. Andrews on Monday, Pettipas and his friend Aidan Hart met ten people outside Joey's Your Independent Grocer.

Intrigued, they approached the scene to get a better look. They were amazed to see the tiny rodent completely coated in foam. They quickly realized that the clock was ticking for the unfortunate creature. "There was nothing recognizable about it," Pettipas said.

With Quick Thinking, The Teen Jumped To The Squirrel's Rescue

16-year-old Hart swiftly took action and entered the nearby grocery store to fetch a small milk crate, which would serve as a temporary refuge for the squirrel. They promptly contacted their family and friends, seeking help. Pettipas, aged 15, said, "No one knew what to do with it."

Luckily, Pettipas's mother intervened and assumed control of the situation. She quickly contacted the nearest veterinary clinic in St. George, roughly 20 miles northeast of St. Andrews. They were told to bring the squirrel in as soon as they could.

Before departing from the scene, the compassionate bystanders asked for Pettipas's cellphone number, expressing their wish to receive updates on the squirrel's condition the next day. The tenth-grade student received multiple calls concerning the squirrel.

The Vet Had Never Seen Something Like This Before

When the animal arrived at the St. George Veterinary Clinic, Dr. Melanie Eagan was taken aback by what she witnessed.

"I had never seen anything of this nature previously," she expressed. According to Dr. Eagan, the squirrel exhibited restricted mobility, except for its hind legs, which displayed slight movement. She characterized the animal as essentially paralyzed or immobilized.

"He was practically paralyzed in his position," she remarked. Dr. Eagan stated that the squirrel would have had no chance of survival if it had not been brought to the clinic.

They All Believe That The Squirrel Was Mistakenly Covered In The Foam

Dr. Eagan believes that the foam insulation's presence was not an intentional act of harm toward the squirrel. Instead, she speculates that the squirrel probably resided in someone's garage, basement, or shed and inadvertently got trapped in the material.

"It's likely that someone was trying to seal a gap to prevent drafts, and this little fellow happened to pass through it while the foam was still wet," she explained.

"However, this type of foam hardens rapidly, so it wouldn't have taken long for the squirrel to find itself in distress."

Dr. Eagan rubbed alcohol to loosen the foam from the squirrel's fur carefully.

"That foam was as hard as a rock," she remarked. She carefully combed out the foam, resulting in some fur loss and minor abrasions.

"I was pleasantly surprised by how well the process unfolded."

The squirrel has been successfully released near the veterinary clinic in the St. George area. Despite not having experience treating squirrels, Dr. Eagan praised the two teenagers for their prompt response in assisting the distressed animal.

"I've certainly learned the importance of extending a helping hand, particularly when it comes to animals in need," Pettipas said.

This Is Not An Isolated Case – Squirrels Often Fall Victim To Harm

In a recent incident from Dortmund, Germany, a red squirrel became trapped in a manhole cover, with only its head sticking out. A woman tried to assist but faced the squirrel's resistance and bites. Firefighters were summoned and utilized a scarf to soothe the animal before raising the cover. Initially reluctant, the squirrel eventually managed to escape unscathed.

Similar incidents have occurred in the past, shedding light on the tendency of squirrels to become trapped in German manhole covers. While some rescues have been successful, others, such as the case of Gulliver in Hamburg, tragically led to the squirrel's death.

In Munich, a squirrel that was released with the help of olive oil earned the name Olivio.