Teenager Passes Away After Eating Extremely Spicy Tortilla Chip


A 14-year-old boy, Harris Wolobah from Massachusetts, has died after participating in a viral internet dare called the "One Chip Challenge," which involves eating an extremely spicy tortilla chip.

After eating the spicy chip at his high school, Harris experienced intense stomach pain. His mom was alerted by a school nurse and learned that a fellow student had given him the spicy chip.

He seemed to feel somewhat better after getting home, but he later passed out. His brother found him and he was immediately taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

His parents are heartbroken and suspect that the spicy chip challenge may have played a role in their son's unfortunate death.

The "One Chip Challenge" is a popular social media dare that tasks people with eating what is said to be the world's spiciest tortilla chip, then trying to wait as long as possible before eating or drinking anything for relief.

The spicy chip, produced by a company named Paqui, comes packaged in a box shaped like a coffin. It carries a warning label advising that it is intended only for adults and should be kept away from children, as well as those sensitive to spicy foods.

The company's website further warns that anyone experiencing severe discomfort or difficulty breathing should seek medical attention right away.

The challenge isn't new; it has existed for a few years. Just last year, some school leaders even sent kids home after issuing a warning about these spicy chips.

Last year, a spokesperson from Paqui spoke on the Today show, stating that the company takes 'safety very seriously and has worked hard to ensure our products are properly and clearly labelled with allergen and safety information'.

It was further mentioned: "It is our intent that consumers take on this challenge with a full understanding of what it is and if it is appropriate for them."

The school where Wolobah studied is now providing help for students and staff to cope with the loss, including grief counseling and emotional support.

Rachel Monárrez, the principal of Doherty Memorial High School, described the late student as a 'rising star'.

She further commented: "It is with a heavy heart I share that we lost a rising star, Harris Wolobah, who was a sophomore scholar at Doherty Memorial High School. As a mother and educator, I cannot imagine how hard this is on his family, friends and teachers."

"My heart goes out to all who knew and loved him."

A fundraising page on GoFundMe has been created to assist with the funeral costs, and it has already collected $23,000.

Wolobah will be commemorated as a student who was passionate about his family and basketball.