Teenager Killed WWII Veteran, 91, By Setting Him On Fire

Teenager Killed Wwii Veteran, 91, By Setting Him On Fire

A 17-year-old teenager killed a 91-year-old World War veteran by beating, dousing him with gasoline, and setting him on fire.

The 91-year-old Paul Monchnik lived in Detroit and was a friendly and active member of the Detroit community.

Paul Monchnik became a US immigrant at the age of 8.

He went to school in Detroit. In his teenage years, he participated in World War II and survived the war.

However, Paul didn't survive when a 17-year-old teenager, George Steward, attacked him.

Paul Monchnik died a horrific death in his home. His body was discovered by police together with the fire brigade when they responded to a fire alert.

Paul's body was covered with petrol and set on fire. He was found near the front door of his house.

The murder suspect, George Steward, was a next-door neighbor of Paul.

According to the police report, the teenager is alleged to have entered Paul's home, beat him, and set him into flames.

Paul's body was almost burned completely, and a one-fifth cup of petrol was found in his stomach.

He also suffered skull fractures, two broken ribs on his left side, and three cutting injuries on the left hand.

The son of the former soldier, Scott Monchnik, 56, arrived at the scene and couldn't believe what was left of his childhood home, which had been consumed by fire. He urged the public to assist the police in capturing the suspect.

The floor of the ruined home was soaked with blood in the areas where his father was beaten, and Scott described it as a "scene from hell."

He said:

"His life was brutally taken from us by a monster. The terrible sickening feeling I get thinking that my dad's last hour on Earth was filled with horror and pain, worse than anything he went through in the war."

"This man (Steward) has created a hole in all of us that is filled with anger and hatred, fear, and loss. You have taken something that was not yours to take."

Scott Monchnik described his father as a hardworking man even in his 90s and he stayed updated with current events by reading newspapers.

Scott said:

"He was kind and open-minded… He had no prejudice, he had no malice, and he was a kind-hearted man. He worked very, very hard to support his wife and his family and he wanted to live to be 100, and this kid cut that short."

A few weeks later, after the killing, George steward was captured by the police. He used gasoline to cover his tracks, according to the police.

Steward has been sentenced to between 30-60 years imprisonment after pleading guilty.

Steward was remorseful in the court as he apologized to the Monchnik family saying:

"Each and every day, I wish I could take it back."

"No one should be able to leave this world like that."

"I'm sorry for the loss I caused their family, for the heartache I put in their hearts."

"Hopefully, one day, they can find it in their hearts to forgive me."

Paul Monchnik had been repairing televisions for over 50 years, and his wife died seven years ago.

He is survived by his three children, four grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.