Survivor Of Forklift Accident Pleads With Doctors To Save Him, Even If Only His Head Remains

In September 2019, Loren Schauers, a young man of 21, experienced a harrowing incident when he was tragically chopped in half by a forklift.

Despite the devastating injuries he sustained, Schauers pleaded with medical professionals to do whatever they could to save him, even if it meant only his head would remain intact.

The incident occurred while Schauers was operating a forklift on a bridge in the US, which veered off course and plunged 50 feet to the ground, leaving him pinned under the weight of the four-ton vehicle and resulting in life-altering consequences.

The builder underwent a harrowing accident that resulted in the loss of three limbs. In a courageous move, medical professionals opted to perform hemicorporectomy surgery, which involved amputating everything below his waist in order to save his life.

At one point, Schauers pleaded with doctors to do whatever it took to keep him alive, even if it meant being left with just his head.

Three years have passed since the devastating accident, and Schauers now lives without legs and his right forearm. His wife, Sabia Reiche, takes care of him.

Reiche has shared about the heart-wrenching moment when doctors informed the family that Schauers would need to undergo extensive surgery, resulting in the amputation of everything below his waist, in order to save his life.

"We were all like super shocked and none of us knew how to react and none of us knew how Loren would react because he's an 18-year-old guy living life to the full," she shared.

"And so there were fears in our heads that he wouldn't want this surgery or would rather die than lose half of his body."

"But his sister really fought hard to let him make that decision."

According to Reiche, Schauers' mother had power of attorney prior to the operation, which placed her in a challenging position of having to make a difficult decision.

"She didn't know whether to have the surgery done and for him to wake up and hate her for it, or not have the surgery done and he die and her feel like she killed her son," Reiche added.

Ultimately, the decision was made to proceed with the surgery, and as Schauers regained consciousness, it became clear that it was the right choice, as he showed unwavering determination to survive the traumatic experience.

"I knew he wasn't going anywhere because he looked them dead in the eye and told them he didn't care if he was just a head on a plate, they're going to do the surgery and they're going to keep him alive," Reiche said.

"That really brought a lot of hope for us, that he was a fighter, but we already knew that because he was still alive."