A 34-year-old man was hospitalized after eating a banana in a condom due to anger, causing a severe bowel obstruction. This unique incident was reported in the journal "Cureus" as the first known case of its kind.
The strange case was discovered when the patient, who remained anonymous, came to the hospital with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and inability to consume food or drink, and hadn't had a bowel movement for 24 hours.
Doctors found a banana in a condom blocking the small intestine via a CT scan.
The patient, with a past of depression, admitted to consuming the condom-covered banana during a bout of "hormonal anger."
The patient was quickly taken into surgery and the fruit was removed. Afterward, photos showed the condom-covered, bruised banana next to surgical tongs.
The man was released from the hospital three days after the removal of the banana and made a full recovery, able to eat and have normal bowel movements.
"Two weeks after the operation, he was tolerating a low-fiber diet without nausea or vomiting," the report read. "He had a return of normal bowel movements, and his pain was well-controlled."
They added, "At six months, he continued to endorse normal bowel patterns and diet. He was able to slowly resume his active lifestyle and did not have major concerns."
This was the first recorded case of someone ingesting a banana in a condom, according to the study. The authors stated that small bowel obstructions are uncommon and typically occur "from the ingestion of drug-filled condoms to smuggle illicit drugs."
This is not the first instance of someone swallowing an unexpected object. Recently, doctors were surprised to find that a 4-year-old's "colicky" pain was caused by a magnetic bracelet they had swallowed.