You probably think Mac-n-Cheese is perfect the way it is, but hear me out. Here is a smoked Mac and Cheese bacon cups recipe that will take your enjoyment of this popular classic to a whole new level.
It takes about 30 minutes of prepping and about 1 hour and 5 minutes of cooking to make this dish. Preparing this American appetizer requires a BBQ grill, a foil pan, and a muffin tin.
Oh, this recipe will help you prepare 6 servings of this meal.
- 12 bacon strips
- 16 ounces of small pasta shells (elbow macaroni)
- 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 5 1/2 cups of milk
- 2 cups of smoked gouda cheese
- 2 cups of smoked cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons of BBQ rub
Here are the steps to make some mouth-watering smoked mac and cheese bacon cups.
1. Prepare The Bacon Cups
- Start by setting the grill/smoker to 350 degrees.
- Place the muffin tin facing down on the counter. Put 2 pieces of bacon per cup. You should cut one of the strips into two and place it in an "X" configuration over the cup. The second strip should be wrapped around the side of the cup while ensuring its ends overlap. Do this for all the bacon strips.
- Sprinkle some BBQ rub on the bacon pieces.
- Put the bacon cups in the grill/smoker and let the bacon cook for about 45 to 55 minutes. The bacon should be thoroughly cooked but not crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the grill and let it cook then carefully remove the bacon cups from the pan.
2. Prepare The Bread Crumb Topping
Get a small mixing bowl and stir in it 2 tablespoons of melted butter, breadcrumbs, and a tablespoon of all-purpose seasoning.
3. Prepare The Cheese Sauce
- Using a saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. After the butter melts, add some flour and whisk continuously for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour the milk into the flour and butter mixture as you whisk. You should continue cooking as you whisk continuously until the mixture is bubbling and thick.
- Get the pan from the heat and stir in the cheeses. Then put the cheese sauce aside.
4. Prepare The Macaroni
- Start by filling a large saucepan with water and bring it to boiling. Add the pasta, then cook for 1 minute less than the manufacturer recommends. Remove from the heat, drain the water, and return the pasta to the pan.
- Stir in the cheese sauce until it melts.
5. Make And Bake The Mac Cups
- Scoop the macaroni mixture into the bacon cups.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture on top.
- Place the bacon cups into a foil pan.
- Bake the bacon cups without covering them up in the grill/smoker until they are brown at the top for about 30 minutes.
Your smoked mac and cheese bacon cups are ready. Remove from the heat, serve and enjoy.