Food / Drink

Restaurant In Trouble After Video Showed Employees Washing Kitchen Utensils In A Lake

restaurant in trouble after video showed employees washing kitchen utensils in a lake

We all know that eating our greens is important, but sometimes the craving for greasy takeaway is too strong. Even then, we would still hope they prepared the food in a healthy environment.

Unfortunately, this one restaurant failed even at basic hygiene. A video of the employees washing kitchen equipment in a lake shocked many.

Unsafe And Dangerous For Health

A Facebook user shared a video of staff at No. 1 Chinese Restaurant doing the dishes in a nearby lake. The restaurant in Old Hickory, Tennessee, was consequently shut down.


In the video, the employees wash pots, kitchen utensils, and a grill top in the body of water. According to the author of the post, this was not the first time he saw them do that.

When they took notice of him, they stopped what they were doing. However, the video got many views on Facebook and got the locals worried.

Shutting Down The Restaurant

The health inspector, called to deal with the situation, decided to close down the place. Quite clearly, it was breaking basic hygienic rules.


With the video as evidence, there was nothing the owner could say to justify the episode. Hugh Atkins, from the Metro Health Department, declared:

"Their explanation was it was a drain that collected a lot of grease, and they wanted to wash it somewhere where that grease wasn't going down their drain. It's disturbing to see something like that."


An Unconvincing Explanation

The daughter of the owner did not think their behavior was a big deal. In fact, she explained that no one ever got sick, although they had been cleaning kitchen tools in the lake for years.

Although the health and safety records confirm they never had problems before, this incident is still troubling. Many clients will likely think twice before eating there again.


In the meantime, following instructions from the Health Department, the owners have completed all the necessary cleaning procedures. As a consequence, they were already able to reopen the restaurant for business.

We sure hope our favorite eateries have better health safety policies. If they ever did something like this, we would rather not know...