Parents Warn Others After Teenage Daughter Dies From Dangerous Chroming Trend

Sad parents have given a serious warning after their teenage daughter tragically passed away while participating in a dangerous trend called chroming.

Esra Haynes, who was only 13 years old, was attending a sleepover in northeast Melbourne, Australia, during the Easter weekend.

Her parents, Andrea and Paul Haynes, received a phone call asking them to quickly come and get their daughter, as she had experienced a sudden cardiac arrest while sleeping.

Upon reaching the house, they found paramedics already there, desperately attempting to revive her.

Read further to learn more about this heartbreaking incident.

After Haynes was taken to the hospital, doctors put her on life support to help her breathe and keep her alive.

Although her parents held hope for her recovery, a scan revealed that Haynes had suffered severe and irreversible brain damage.

With heavy hearts, the couple had to make the agonizing decision to remove Haynes from life support. They were advised to gather close friends and family to bid their final farewells to the young teen at her bedside.

Sadly, Haynes passed away three days later.

Haynes' sister, Imogen, shared with 7News that her sibling was known for being kind and generous. She always put others before herself and was always there to lend a helping hand.

The cause of Haynes' death has been confirmed as a result of chroming, a dangerous trend that involves inhaling harmful chemicals.

Chroming includes inhaling substances like paint, solvents, aerosol cans, glue, cleaning products, or petrol.

Engaging in chroming affects the central nervous system and slows down brain activity, resulting in a temporary feeling of being "high."

However, chroming is extremely dangerous and comes with various side effects, including slurred speech, dizziness, hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, and confusion.

In more severe cases, it can lead to heart attacks, difficulty breathing, and even cause permanent damage to vital organs such as the brain, liver, and kidneys.

Haynes' family is now dedicated to increasing awareness about the harmful consequences of chroming, aiming to prevent any further tragedies. Paul, speaking to the Herald Sun, describes it as their personal mission or "crusade."

He elaborated: "No matter how much you lead a horse to water, anyone can drag them away. It's not something she would have done on her own."

Imogen also shared: "We definitely have a mission to raise awareness for kids and anyone that does it."

"We don't want that to happen to anyone else. We don't want another family to go through this, it's absolutely horrible."

Her brother, Seth, further contributed: "I just want to put awareness out there that it can happen very quickly, and we don't want to lose any more amazing people."

According to the American Addiction Centers, chroming is particularly common among younger individuals who don't have access to other drugs.

The National Survey on Drug Use and Health revealed that in the United States, approximately half a million people admitted to using inhalants, with the majority falling between the ages of 12 and 17.

Frank, a UK-based organization, claims that there are over 50 deaths each year related to the use of glues, gases, solvents, and aerosols.

It is reported that the UK government is planning to introduce new legislation that would outlaw nitrous oxide.

Under these proposed laws, individuals caught with nitrous oxide gas in public could face prosecution.