Man Shot Dead After Pointing Laser And Firing At Police Helicopter

An man in the United States was killed by police gunfire after aiming a laser and shooting at a police helicopter earlier this week.

According to police, a 33-year-old individual from Detroit, whose name has not been released, aimed a green laser from within his residence at a helicopter as it was flying in a circular pattern north of downtown Detroit.

According to the Michigan State Police, the intense laser light could have caused blindness in the pilot, potentially resulting in multiple fatalities.

Video footage released by the Michigan State Police shows the individual directing the laser and then emerging with a "long gun".

In the video footage captured from the helicopter, the pilot can be heard saying:

"We got somebody hitting us with a green laser on the rear of the house, upper window."

"Now there's somebody standing at the back door. Right now, they're in the backyard."

"He actually might, he might be armed."

"He almost looks like he's holding a long gun pointed at us right now. Yeah, he's shooting at us right now."

"He's firing rounds. He's got a long gun, extended magazine."

After that, law enforcement sealed off the area and confined the suspect to prevent him from causing harm to anyone.

The suspect was killed in a gunfight as two state police troopers moved in when they engaged in a crossfire with him.

In an interview with Fox 2, Michigan State Police Lieutenant Mike Shaw stated: "If the pilot had been blinded and crashed into this neighborhood, it would have been a lot worse."

"People don't realise the seriousness of firing a laser at our aircraft or any aircraft."

The troopers returned fire and the suspect was hit and fell to the ground.

"We had our emergency support team show up, and went up to approach the house."

"There were concerns because he was still armed and was laying there."

At the empty house where the man had been residing, authorities discovered "multiple weapons and ammunition stashes," which raised concern.

During the investigation, six firearms were discovered inside the residence, including the one used to shoot at the helicopter.

No one was hurt and the helicopter was not damaged as a result of the incident.

Michigan State Police added on Twitter: "The two troopers involved this incident have nine and two years of service. They are currently on leave."

"This investigation is ongoing and when completed will be submitted to the prosecutor for review."