Man Gets 23 Weeks In Prison For Brutally Beating Puppy To Death

Man Gets 23 Weeks In Prison For Brutally Beating Puppy To Death

A British man will spend 24 weeks behind bars after being found guilty of beating a puppy to death for pooping indoors.

On May 24, Callum Gerken, 27-years-old, pleaded guilty to a vicious attack on a 17-weeks-old dog.

On April 3, police were called to Gerken's home in Oxford on the grounds of brutally injuring an animal.

Gerken was arrested on April 4. He was charged the following day for causing unnecessary suffering to a puppy.

Initially, Gerken had denied all the charges, but on Friday, May 24, he pleaded guilty and accepted a six-month-sentence to jail.

The puppy, named Shadow, was beaten mercilessly by Gerken, who then sent disturbing voice messages to the puppy's owner.

Gerken said:

"I have just beat it from one side of the room to the other."

He added in another message:

"I have just beat it from one side of the room to the other. I don't give a f***. That is how it will be with me. She ain't gonna do that again because she cannot f***ing walk."

Gerken had beaten the young puppy with a slipper, giving her injuries that led to her death.

The dog suffered a broken jaw, a laceration on the liver, and fractured ribs. He beat the dog because it wasn't house-trained, and it had torn some of his belongings.

Magistrates blamed Gerken for Shadow's death.

They reported:

"You were determined to cause harm, and you made threats that you would cause further harm to the dog."

"You were in a position of responsibility. You used a slipper as a weapon. You did not call or take the dog to the vet or seek advice even though you were aware she was unwell."

Shadow's owner and a breeder, who asked not to be identified, told Oxford Mail:

"I was there when she was born, and I watched her grow up and learn to walk and run. She didn't know anything else but love."

They had only had her five weeks, and they all absolutely adored her and he comes along and beats her to death.

The puppy owner also expressed her dissatisfaction with Gerken's sentence:

"I couldn't believe he only got 23 weeks. Two years would have been more appropriate. We are all devastated. We couldn't tell the kids how she died as they would be too heartbroken. We don't feel justice has been done at all."

It is not clear why the dog was put in Gerken's care or his relation to the animal's owner.

Gerken has now been sentenced to 23 weeks in prison. He was also ordered to pay £250 compensation to the owner, £1,000 court expenses, and was banned from keeping dogs for 10 years.