Lucy Letby has received a life imprisonment sentence.
The UK woman who killed many children will spend her whole life in prison. She was found guilty of murdering seven babies and trying to kill six other babies. This happened between June 2015 and June 2016.
This 33-year-old is the fourth woman in the UK to get a punishment called a whole life order. It's the toughest punishment and is given to those who commit really terrible crimes.
During the 10-month trial, Letby often appeared in court, but on the day they were going to be sentenced in Manchester Crown Court, she chose not to come.
See below as relatives now advocate for legal reforms in the wake of Lucy Letby's trial…
The judge, Justice Goss, spoke to the Letby, who originally came from Herefordshire: "There was premeditation, calculation and cunning in your actions. Loving parents have been robbed of their cherished children. You have caused deep psychological trauma."
In his address, which will be printed and given to the serial ki**er, he continued: "You acted in a way that was completely contrary to the normal human instincts of nurturing and caring for babies and in gross breach of the trust that all citizens place in those who work in the medical and caring professions."
Earlier at Manchester Crown Court, the mother of Child E, who passed away, and Child F, who survived, read a statement about how they were affected. She mentioned that Letby's choice not to come to court was 'just one final act of wickedness from a coward', as reported by ITV News.
Talking about the time when the ex-nurse was giving her side of the story, she also said: "I would like to thank Lucy for taking the stand and showing the court what she is really like once the 'nice Lucy' mask slips."
"It was honestly the best thing she could have done to ensure our boys got the justice they deserve."
Earlier this year, Alex Chalk, the Justice Secretary, mentioned that the government is determined to modify the law. They want to make it necessary for criminals to come to their sentencing, especially after the killers of Olivia Pratt-Korbel, Zara Aleena, and Sabina Nessa didn't attend their hearings.
On August 21, he stated that the government is aiming to alter the law as soon as possible. He added: "Nothing could begin to undo the damage that Lucy Letby has done. Justice has been served, but it was an insult to the families of her victims that Letby failed to appear in the dock to hear her sentence handed down."
"She took the coward's approach, insulting her victims one last time by robbing their families of the chance to look her in the eye as the judge decided her fate."
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has criticized Letby for being 'cowardly' due to her decision not to attend the sentencing hearing.
While visiting a nursery in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, on Monday, he was questioned about whether the government was taking too much time to implement this change.
He said: "The first thing is to extend my sympathies to everyone affected by this."
"I think, like everyone reading about this, it's just shocking and harrowing. Now, I think it's cowardly that people who commit such horrendous crimes do not face their victims and hear first-hand the impact that their crimes have had on them and their families and loved ones."
"We are looking, and have been, at changing the law to make sure that that happens and that's something that we'll bring forward in due course."