Amidst ongoing heatwaves scorching the United States, a mother-of-two from Indiana tragically passed away after consuming four bottles of water in just 20 minutes.
The unfortunate incident occurred during a 4th of July boat trip with Ashley Summers, her husband, and their children.
However, shortly after returning home, the 35-year-old collapsed due to a rare condition that claimed her life.
Prior to the heartbreaking event, Summers had been enjoying quality time with her family at Lake Freeman near Monticello during the holiday weekend.
Her brother, Devon Miller, shared with WRTV that it was a special occasion for the family, as she had a deep love for being on the water and spending time on the lake.
Nevertheless, the mother of two had been expressing concerns about severe dehydration during the boat trip and struggled to quench her thirst.
Experiencing dizziness and headaches, she consumed four 500ml bottles of water in a mere 20 minutes.
However, upon reaching home Tuesday night, her health took a sharp downturn, and she collapsed in her garage.
Despite being rushed to IU Health Arnett Hospital, the mother never regained consciousness and tragically lost her life to an uncommon condition: water toxicity.
This uncommon illness arises when the body ingests an excessive amount of water too rapidly, causing a delay in replenishing essential minerals.
Dr. Blake Froberg, a toxicologist at IU Health shared this information with WRTV: "There are certain things that can make someone more at risk for it, but the overall thing that happens is that you have too much water and not enough sodium in your body."
More commonly observed during the summer months, this condition can manifest with symptoms such as headaches, nausea, muscle cramps, confusion, seizures, and vomiting.
In severe cases like Summers', it can also result in brain swelling and, tragically, death.
To prevent this, the doctor advises people to drink fluids slowly and consistently throughout the day and ensure an adequate intake of electrolytes, sodium, and potassium.
Regrettably, her brother Miller now realizes that the mom had warning signs of the condition, stating, "I mean, an average water bottle is like 16 ounces, so that was 64 ounces that she drank in a span of 20 minutes."
"That's half a gallon. That's what you're supposed to drink in a whole day," he added.
As an organ donor, the mother-of-two's selfless act saved the lives of five others.
Now, the family is raising awareness of water toxicity in memory of Summers following her sudden passing. They have set up a Venmo account, @Cody-Summers-16, to cover medical expenses.