We've all been there when we've assembled a group of friends around a table to analyse whatever new nonsense that a Male has sent a friend. It's truly one of life's universal experiences to spend the better part of a morning decoding a seemingly emotionally distant text that supposedly conveys much more. The findings of these studies can result in the Male being 'cancelled', 'trash', or, if he's lucky 'just busy'. So much can be interpreted from one simple 'hey', from the presence of punctuation to a capitalized first letter.
Everything means something, trust me. Depending on who you talk to, this can make or break a relationship. While communication is key, it's how things are said that really matters, rather than what appears to have been expressed.
It's an agony aunt for your zodiac, basically!
Having a significant other is great. Having great friends is also fabulous. In short, having people that love you is like drinking hot chocolate and watching Friends reruns. You feel all warm and toasty inside and can probably feel your heart lurching forward and growing three sizes. Affirmations of love are the best things since sliced bread, but the really surprising fact remains that they don't even need to cost a penny. You don't even need to spend hours planning!
At it's crux, the words 'I love you' serve to express and remind ourselves that we are both capable of loving another person, and that we are ourselves loved. It's like killing two emotionally distressed birds with one cupid's arrow. Okay, the metaphor got a little tangled, but you get my drift.
To be honest, these gestures don't even need to be romantic – often filial or platonic friendships are just as intimate and life-affirming. Don't be afraid to let your homies know how much they mean to you, too!
Read on to see how your zodiac sign best expresses their emotions! Indeed, maybe have a quick glance at what your partner fancies!!!
I love you, by the way – be careful not to blindside them too much, but a casual declaration of your affection cannot be overstated. It shows you're comfortable with your emotions and ready to commit and make the first move towards emotional symbiosis.
I love your hair/shoes/jacket – while we won't always compliment the physical attributes of our loved ones, we shouldn't shy away from them entirely. It's nice to feel good and have people notice!
Two options here, you know how Geminis hate to choose!
You look really great//Your smile could probably light up a city block
I love us/I love our dynamic – this one doesn't seem as important as the big ILY on it's own, however, this pairing of unified language and the explicit appreciation of your relationship together is extremely important. Your loved one can then feel both comfortable and powerful and desirable in a relationship, and alone.
You remind me of Springtime.
I could listen to you talk for days and never get bored of you. You know that, right?
I mean, I gave my heart away the day I met you and it's never really occurred to me to ask for it back. It's safe where it is.
My parents would love you – this shows not only an intention to make the next step in the relationship and introduce your family to your special person, but this language anticipates a future together in general terms. It's always nice to be featured in people's longer-term plans.
Do the dishes and clean the flat if you know they've had a long day
Bring some chocolates or something sweet home from work, just for the hell of it
Tag them in a facebook meme with thirty tiny Labrador puppies clambering over each other. Warning, they might die of cuteness.
Buy plants! This is like buying flowers but better, because while flowers last for a week and look pretty, if you plant a new fern or laurel bush you can be in it for the long haul. You can also research the symbolic meaning of the plant so that your expression of love can extend beyond the rather tired mode of 'Roses to say sorry'. Sorry guys, I know you mean well, but we're well past that!
And that's that! Or is it?
But failing those small gestures of love, here are a few larger ways to make your significant other special, irrespective of zodiac!
1. Swap books that you love, or recommend or buy a new book that you think they will love. Leave it on their nightstand and don't make a huge deal out of it. This shows you making an effort and wanting to share hobbies. You can tell so much about a person by their bookshelf – maybe even suggest going in together on a bookshelf!
2. Help them assemble IKEA furniture. It's not one for the fainthearted but if you can survive it you're in for the long haul. Just kick those four nails that you didn't use under the bed and hope that they weren't important.
3. Get them a new glasses case when you recognize theirs is unalterably in tatters – or equivalent. This one must be mindful that the tattered glasses case might still have symbolic value to the person, so use common sense, but the principle of responding to an anticipating their needs goes a long way to showing how important and in-tuned to them you are.
4. Send a postcard to their house just for the sake of it. Write something magical on the back or just copy up a naff poem or your favorite quote. I guarantee it's going straight on their pin-board.
5. Face time them just when you want a chat. Texting is so last century, and it's always nice to know someone misses your face.
Go get 'em, guys!