The rock and TV star, one of the sexiest men alive, also a father and a husband, Jon Bon Jovi, is a true gem.
Though he is famous for so many different things, one of the lesser-known things about Bon Jovi is his charitable heart.
Besides being a great musician, Jon Bon Jovi has gone to great lengths to make our world a better place. But in this project, his wife of over three decades, Dorothea, did her share too.
Jon Bon Jovi's Two Charity Restaurants
In 2006, Jovi founded The Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation, for the purpose of fighting homelessness and poverty.
The foundation opened the restaurant chain, JBJ Soul Kitchen, where people in need can eat meals without having to pay.
Jon Bon Jovi opened the first restaurant in October 2011, in the Red Bank area, New Jersey, the city where he himself was born and named a 1988 album after.
In 2016, he chose an area near Toms River that was affected by Hurricane Sandy to open another restaurant.
The main goal of both restaurants is to fight food insecurity without any judgment. One of the restaurant's famous mottos is:
"All are welcome at our table."
How Patrons Can Give Back
The menu has no prices, and paying is optional, but the restaurants encourage people who can pay for their meal to leave a $20 donation.
Moreover, they encourage patrons who can't pay or are homeless to voluntarily work at the restaurant. Jon stated:
"Our mission has always been to affect positive change and address the issues of hunger and homelessness."
"There are no prices on our menu. So if you are in need, you participate. And that means bussing the table, washing a dish, working in our gardens."
The non-profit organization has achieved huge success, serving a total of over 105,893 meals to people.
According to statistics on the restaurant's website, around 54% of meals were paid for through donations, while the rest 46% were made through volunteering.
Before serving, the restaurants always make sure the meals are super delicious and nutritious at the same time; the food is produced organically in the restaurant's garden.
Patrons don't have to reserve tables in advance. JBJ Soul Kitchen works according to the first-come-first-served principle, but they prioritize those who need warm food but struggle financially.
You can dine with anyone at Soul Kitchen, even strangers. This facilitates social interaction between diners regardless of their social status.
One kind deed by the restaurants is that they offered government workers and their family members 100% free meals after the federal government shutdown on January 21, 2019.
What's On The Menu?
The menu offers 3 different courses that are inspired by the local American cuisine and change regularly every 10 days.
Usually, it's either a salad or soup in the first course, and the main course is often meat or fish. But don't worry, Soul Kitchen provides gluten-free and vegetarian options, too!
And finally there's the dessert, which comes in many shapes depending on the season.
Other Acts of Kindness by Bon Jovi
The rock star's foundation was responsible for building warm homes for the homeless in Philadelphia, including veterans and very young people.
Not only that, but the organization has also launched a program that helps people write successful resumes to employers. It also helps them develop job interview skills and even gives them free financial and legal advice.
Bon Jovi and his wife, Dorothea Hurley, created the foundation with one clear goal:
"To break the cycle of hunger, poverty, and homelessness through developing partnerships, creating programs, and providing grant funding to support innovative community benefit organizations."