Humankind has destroyed the environment on countless occasions in the name of putting up buildings, communities, bridges, canals, ports, cities, and even roads. On many occasions, it seems like nature had no chance against the unstoppable force of civilization.
However, there is plenty of evidence that we have not dealt nature its final blow. There are numerous instances of nature fighting back and proving to us just how fragile our projects can be.
Mother Nature is constantly reclaiming itself, and here are photos indicating that nature is to be feared, respected and even envied.
1. Tree v. Chimney
This tree grew out of an abandoned chimney, clearly showing that nature can fight back against human invasions and win.
2. Tree v. Silo
Again, a tree managed to win an impossible battle by growing inside an abandoned silo. This is a perfect example of Mother Nature taking back what is rightfully hers.
3. Tree v. Gate
This tree grew at the gate of the abandoned Putzar Castle in Germany.
4. Nature Reclaims Village
Hard to believe that this village was abandoned in the 1990s in Houtouwan in China. Nature has completely taken over within a few short years.
5. Nature Reclaims Railroad Tracks In Taiwan In The Forest
6. Tree Grows Inside The Stop Sign
7. Vine Takes Over Chair And Silences Wind Chime
8. This Old Shiva Temple Taken Over By Sacred Bodhi Tree In Bangladesh
9. Abandoned Synagogue Taken Over By Vegetation
10. Real Grass Takes Over Fake Grass
11. A Toy Is Taken Over By Moss, Creating A Pretty Cool Effect
12. Castle Taken Over By Vegetation In Ireland
13. The Boat Wreck Was Reclaimed By Nature, Creating This Island
14. The Tree Grew Around A Hiking Sign
15. A Neanderthal Skull Aged 130,000 Years Surrounded By Stalagmites In An Italian Cave
16. Roots Growing According To Pavement Pattern
17. The Agave Tree Growing To Massive Size In An Abandoned Greenhouse
18. Tree Grows Through A Stone Wall
19. Tree Grows Around A Railing
20. An Abandoned Bridge In New Zealand Gets Run Over By Vegetation
21. An Eerie Overgrown Villa In Germany
22. Car Not Enough To Stop Nature's Progress
23. Initiation Path Taken Over By Moss In Quinta Da Regaleira, Portugal
24. Tree Destroys A Tombstone In Boothbay, Maine
25. Tree Grows Through The Railings
26. Abandoned Train Tracks Taken Over By Vegetation
27. This Vine Is Trying To Steal A Broom, Being At It For Several Months
28. Nature Takes Over A Boat, Turning It Into A Wonderful Sight
29. Abandoned House Taken Over By The Desert In California
30. These Radioactive Cars From Fukushima Disaster Are Getting Consumed By Nature
31. Plants Creeping Up An Abandoned Greenhouse
32. When A Piano Is Left Out In Nature
33. Ivy Proving That It Can Thrive In A Car
34. When Nature Happens: 1965 v. 2012
35. The Carved Letters Of This Tombstone Are Being Taken Over By Moss
36. This Abandoned Place Was Reclaimed By Nature
37. A Little Light Was All Nature Required To Make Fern Grow Inside This Building
38. An Abandoned Tank Being Overrun By Nature
39. Nature Takes Over A Roller Coaster
40. The Tree Grows Inside A Pedestrian Bridge
41. A Blanket Was Abandoned, But Creeping Ivy Is Slowly Burying It And Taking Over
42. Ms World Discoverer Hit A Reef In 2000, And Vegetation Is Slowly Taking Over
43. Man Went To See If His First Car Was Still Where He Left It 40 Years Ago
44. Trespassing Sign Swallowed By A Tree
45. Gate Was Open For Too Long, A Bush Grew Around It
46. An Abandoned Apartment Complex In Keelung, Taiwan, Getting Reclaimed By Nature
47. The Tree Grew Through And Around This Wagon Wheel
48. This Plant Grew Through A Locked Window While The Resident Was On Holiday
49. Nature Reclaiming An Abandoned Paper Mill
50. A Hotel In Southern Europe Getting Overrun By Vegetation
Given time, Mother Nature can take back what is rightfully hers. These breathtaking photos indicate that human invasion is not as permanent and absolute as it seems.
Vegetation can take over buildings, railroad tracks, bridges, or practically anything else that man puts in its way.