If you are a millennial trying to find yourself, the chances are that How I Met Your Mother has been a godsend to you. In recognition of this fact, here are 39 quotes from this popular show to help you get through life.
1. “It’s going to be legen — wait for it — dary.” — Barney Stinson
2. “Why am I constantly looking for reasons not to be happy?” — Robin Scherbatsky
3. “In marriage, being right is less important than being supportive. Remember: Happy wife equals happy life.” — Lily Aldrin
4. “You can’t just skip ahead to where you think your life should be.” — Lily Aldrin
5. “You can’t cling to the past, because no matter how tightly you hold on, it’s already gone.”— Ted Mosby
6. “A word of advice: Play along. The more you fight it, the worse it’s gonna get. It’s like when your car slides on ice. You steer into the skid.” — Ted Mosby
7. “So really the biggest mistake would be not to make that mistake, because then you’ll go your whole life not knowing if something was a mistake or not.” — Lily Aldrin
8. “That’s life, you know. We never end up where you thought you wanted to be.” — Marshall Eriksen
9. “Whenever I’m sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.” — Barney Stinson
10. “I really don’t like feelings.” — Robin Scherbatsky
11. “We struggle so hard to hold on to these things that we know are gonna disappear eventually. And that’s really noble.” — Lily Aldrin
12. “If you’re not scared, you’re not taking a chance. And if you’re not taking a chance, then what the hell are you doing?” — Ted Mosby
13. “There are two big days in any love story: the day you meet the girl of your dreams and the day you marry her.” — Ted Mosby
14. “Sometimes things have to fall apart to make way for better things.” — Ted Mosby
15. “Look, you can’t design your life like a building. It doesn’t work that way. You just have to live it, and it’ll design itself.” — Lily Aldrin
16. “Sometimes we search for one thing, but discover another.” – Barney Stinson.
17. “You can ask the universe for signs all you want but ultimately, we’ll only see what we want to see…when we’re ready to see it.” – Ted Mosby.
18. “Destined? Aren’t you tired of waiting for destiny, Ted? Isn’t it time to make your own destiny?” – Robin Scherbatsky.
19. “Shouldn’t we hold out for the person who doesn’t just tolerate our little quirks, but actually kind of likes them?” — Ted Mosby
20. “Say goodbye to all the times you felt lost, to all the times it was a No instead of a Yes, to all the scrapes and bruises, to all the heartache.” – Lily Aldrin.
21. “It’s one thing to not want something. It’s another to be told you can’t have it.” — Robin Scherbatsky
22. “When you believe in people, people come through.” – Ted Mosby.
23. “You keep giving up on people, you’re going to miss out on something great.” — Robin Scherbatsky
24. “I’m cuddly. Deal with it.” – Marshall Eriksen.
25. “Some couples always support each other, and some couples always challenge each other. But is one really better than the other? Yes. Support is better. Way better.” — Future Ted Mosby.
26. “I get recognized one time, and I start thinking I’m Julia Roberts. I’m no VIP; I’m not even an IP; I’m just a lonely little P sitting out here in the gutter.” — Robin Scherbatsky
27. “Here’s the secret, kids. None of us can vow to be perfect. In the end, all we can do is promise to love each other with everything we’ve got because love’s the best thing we do.” — Ted Mosby.
28. “I don’t know where I’m gonna be in five years. I don’t wanna know. I want my life to be an adventure.” – Robin Scherbatsky.
29. “It’s only once you’ve stopped that you realize how hard it is to start again.” – Ted Mosby.
30. “Love doesn’t make sense. I mean, you can’t logic your way into or out of it.” — Ted Mosby.
31. “The great moments of your life won’t necessarily be the things you do. They’ll also be the things that happen to you.” – Ted Mosby.
32. “I realized that I’m searching, searching for what I really want in life. And you know what? I have absolutely no idea what that is.” — Barney Stinson
33. “If you have chemistry, all you need is one other thing…Timing.” – Robin Scherbatsky.
34. “If you’re looking for a word that means caring about someone beyond all rationality and wanting them to have everything they want, no matter how much it destroys you, it’s ‘love.’” -Ted Mosby.
35. “The future is scary, but you can’t just run back to the past because it’s familiar. Yes it’s tempting, but it’s a mistake.” — Robin Scherbatsky
36. “You see, the universe has a plan kids, and that plan is always in motion.” – Ted Mosby.
37. “Never underestimate the power of destiny. Because when you least expect it, the littlest thing can cause a ripple effect that changes your life.”- Ted Mosby.
38. “It’s time to let go of the fantasies. It’s time to grow up.” – Barney Stinson.
39. “Because sometimes even if you know how something’s gonna end, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the ride.” — Ted Mosby
More Awesome Life Quotes From How I Met Your Mother
A show as great as HIMYM obviously had a lot more lines we could quote than the quotes listed above. So, here are a few more you might also relate with or learn something from.
“Sometimes our best decisions are the ones that don’t make sense at all.” – Ted Mosby.
“Whatever you do in this life, it’s not legendary unless your friends are there to see it.” — Barney Stinson
“Definitions are important.” — Lily Aldrin
“We’ll always be friends. It’s just never gonna be how it was. It can’t be. And that doesn’t have to be a sad thing.” -Lily Aldrin.
“You’re my best friend, alright? You don’t have to tell me I’m yours. But the way I see it, we’re a team. Without you, I’m just the dynamic uno.” — Barney Stinson
“Believe it or not, I was not always as awesome as I am today.” — Barney Stinson
“Every night can’t be legendary. If all nights are legendary, no nights are legendary.” -Ted Mosby.
“Revenge fantasies never work out the way you want.” — Marshall
“Lily, there are a million reasons why I love you. […] But the main reason is you’re my best friend, Lily. You’re the best friend I’ve ever had.” — Marshall Eriksen.
“You may think your only choices are to swallow your anger or throw it in someone’s face, but there’s a third option: You can just let it go, and only when you do that is it really gone and you can move forward” – Ted
“Everyone has an opinion on how long it takes to recover from a breakup.” — Ted Mosby
“I just want to say from the bottom of my heart… I’m going to kill you.” -Robin Scherbatsky.
“Whether a gesture’s charming or alarming depends on how it’s received.” — Ted Mosby
“Your package has always been enough. You may not realize this, Marshall Eriksen, but you’ve got a huge package.” — Lily Aldrin
“You have to let me dance my own battles.” — Marshall Eriksen
“You will be shocked, kids when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That’s why, when you find someone you want to keep around, you do something about it” – Ted
How I Met Your Mother was not just entertaining, it was also a great show that had a lot of life lessons for its fans.